Sunday, March 18, 2012

Still not on line

Hi all,

People may realise that I don't really have any great interest in, or knowledge about, the blogging platform I use, so it's a real pain when Google changes odds and ends and I end up unable to even view comments using Firefox and with Safari I get access to comments but no ability to even delete spam from the blog itself. This is a bit of a pain and is markedly limiting.

Meantime the cutting and stitching business is taking rather a lot of our time and even deleting the spam is not looking like happening in the immediate future.

I'll get back on line properly when I get more sorted. At the moment our priority in the evenings is to try and get ahead of running the house so we can have a smidge of free time as a family at the weekends. Serious stuff for the blog is reverse transport of electrons through complex 1 as a major route to mitochondrial free radical generation in the ETC and why it might occur. Preliminary reading would be Lucas Tafur from a year ago here. A great post. I spent hours on Veech's 1995 paper before tripping over Lucas' rather tidy discussion!

All the best

Peter

8 comments:

Beth said...

FWIW, I have been having good luck with Chrome. FF starting being a bit slow and crashy for me, so I changed ...

Good luck with getting all things sorted out & thanks for all you post.

Beth

Aaron Blaisdell said...

As one father to another; take all the family time you need buddy. Nothing's more paleo/primal than that!

Nigel Kinbrum said...

Type the following address into your browser's address bar:-

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/ncr

That will keep your url .com, which will allow you to access the site's facilities.

Puddleg said...

Lucas Tafur - Great blog archive, that's my reading for the next month...
thanks for that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,

On my sites, I have found that installing Disqus for the comments cuts the spam by about 99%. You can see the instructions for having Disqus moderate the comments at http://disqus.com/admin/blogger/

Makro said...

OT: Will be interesting to see it giving metformin to obese mothers helps their babies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2123700/Babies-treated-womb-obesity-Overweight-mothers-diabetes-pill-cut-risk-having-fat-child.html

But will this be enough to ensure that these hyperrewarding-placenta-addicted fatso fetuses will eat less and exercise more?

Ken said...

Peter,
I would like to suggest an idea for a future post, if you are interested. A limited minority of people seem to develop very high LDL-c on low-carb diets, while otherwise exhibiting excellent lipid profiles (i.e. Frederickson type IIa). I am in this category, and I believe that you are as well. Probably a dozen or so active low-carb bloggers are, based upon my reading.
I infer a possible hypothesis for such a phenotype in the Wikipedia entry on Ketogenesis in the last two sentences of the Production section. These describe an alternate pathway for ketone production that would seem to imply enhancement of HMG-CoA activity -- possibly this might result in down-regulation of liver LDL receptors, in a manner opposite to the action of statins.
My idea is admittedly superficial, and I do not have the training in biochemistry to assess whether it is really credible and further flesh it out. The mention of HMG-CoA in the very concise Wikipedia entry caught my attention, though. The fact that it only comes into play for a secondary ketone-production pathway might jibe with the small-minority phenotype.
I would be very interested in your comments if this idea intrigues you enough to respond.

Unknown said...

I second Ken's request as I too have super high LDL (over 400) on low-carb but my HDL is high (over 100) and tryglycerides low. So all the ratios they tell you to worry about are fine. What gives?